[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Diagnostic snapshot generation is broken due to lack of disk space

Artem Panchenko apanchenko at mirantis.com
Tue Jan 12 11:12:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

doesn't matter how /var partition is big, diagnostic snapshot still
could occupy all its space if there are lots of logs on slave nodes.
Although, we can try to control disk space usage by snapshot in shotgun,
but IMHO it's much safer to keep all related to logs staff away from
critical system files, so I'm voting for 2nd (b) option. By the way it
will allow us to use hard links for fast copying of files before
creating tarball, because one partition for storing logs and snapshot
will be used.

Thanks!

On 12.01.16 12:47, Maciej Kwiek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need some advice on how to tackle this issue. There is a bug [1]
> describing the problem with creating a diagnostic snapshot. The issue
> is that /var/log has 100GB available, while /var (where diagnostic
> snapshot is being generated - /var/www/nailgun/dump/fuel-snapshot
> according to [2]) has 10GB available, so dumping the logs can be an
> issue when logs size exceed free space in /var.
>
> There are several things we could do, but I am unsure on which course
> to take. Should we
> a) Allocate more disk space for /var/www (or for whole /var)?
> b) Make the snapshot location share the diskspace of /var/log?
> c) Something else? What?
>
> Please share your thoughts on this.
>
> Cheers,
> Maciej Kwiek