[openstack-dev] [oslo][osdk] PrettyTable needs a home in OpenStack

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Mon Jan 11 18:59:40 UTC 2016

Victor Stinner wrote:
> Le 11/01/2016 10:37, Thierry Carrez a écrit :
>> Joshua Harlow wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> So I'd def help keep prettytable going, of course another option is to
>>> move to https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tabulate (which does seem active
>>> and/or maintained); tabulate provides pretty much the same thing
>>> (actually more table formats @
>>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tabulate#table-format ) than prettytable
>>> and the api is pretty much the same (or nearly).
>>>
>>> So that's another way to handle this (just to move off prettytable
>>> entirely).
>>
>> This sounds like a reasonable alternative...
>

> IMHO contributing to an actively developped library (tabulate) seems
> more productive than starting to maintain a second library which is
> currently no more maintained.
>
> Does anyone know how much code should be modified to replace prettytable
> with tabulate on the whole OpenStack project?
>
> --
>
> I don't like the global trend in OpenStack to create a new community
> separated from the Python community. In general, OpenStack libraries
> have too many dependencies and it's harder to contribute to other
> projects. Gerrit is less popular than Github, and OpenStack requires to
> sign a contributor agreement. I would prefer to stop moving things into
> OpenStack and continue to contribute to existing projects, as we already
> do.
>
> (I also know why projects are moved into OpenStack "big tent", they are
> some good arguments.)
>
> Well, that's my feeling that OpenStack and Python communities are
> splitted, maybe I'm wrong ;-) I just want to avoid what happened in
> Zope: a lot of great code and great libraries, but too many dependencies
> and at the end a different community.

It's always going to be a constant back and forth IMHO, but I hope it
doesn't split (as u say), in fact I think we can work together better
IMHO, perhaps openstack can help prototype/test your new
https://faster-cpython.readthedocs.org/ work for example. That might
actually help reduce the split (and is something that both communities
could benefit from)?

Of course what's needed IMHO is more folks focusing on the shared
cross-project issues and helping resolve them; that's part of the
eternal back and forth (inside of openstack) is vendors focusing on
single/a few projects but a limited number of people looking across
projects and trying to see (and work-through/solve) the bigger issues
there... But I also start to believe this is just the nature of the game
and it may never be what I would like it to be (where a larger group of
people work across projects, vs inside of one/two/a few)...