[openstack-dev] [Nova][Glance] Nova + Glance_v2 = Love

Mikhail Fedosin mfedosin at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 11 14:56:44 UTC 2016

Sam, Flavio, Zhenyu, Daniel thank you for your responses!

Indeed, we're in a difficult position with activating zero-size images...
To fix it we have to solve 2 problems: one with disk and container formats
parameters - glance v2 doesn't allow activate images if these two are
unset; and the second with image data - glance v2 requires some data to be
passed before image activation.

About formats: I don't see any good solution rather than to hardcode them
for Glance and then ignore in Nova. If you can figure out a better one,
please share :) But changing image schema - no way!

About data: afaiu, block_device_mapping property contains volume_id. That
means we may take it out and activate an image by providing new location,
i.e. cinder://volume_id. The problem is setting custom locations for image
is disabled by default and enabling it may cause serious mishaps.
My solution was to provide empty data (not 1 byte as Sam said) with
image-upload, it leads to image activation and it works. Unfortunately,
it's just another workaround, because we create absolutely unnecessary
empty file in store and after that users can download it, which is wrong.
But we can improve it on glance side: if we provide empty data in
image-upload, glance won't create a file in store and set location to the
image (in other words - avoid Location layer in Glance domain model). In
that case these operation will be identical (v1:image-create(size=0) and
v2:image-create()+image-upload(data='')).

Frankly speaking I wish to see more feedback on this matter, because we
will have to make difficult decisions or Nova will never adopt Glance v2
api.