[openstack-dev] [oslo][osdk] PrettyTable needs a home in OpenStack

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Mon Jan 11 10:15:56 UTC 2016

Le 11/01/2016 10:37, Thierry Carrez a écrit :
> Joshua Harlow wrote:
>> [...]
>> So I'd def help keep prettytable going, of course another option is to
>> move to https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tabulate (which does seem active
>> and/or maintained); tabulate provides pretty much the same thing
>> (actually more table formats @
>> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/tabulate#table-format ) than prettytable
>> and the api is pretty much the same (or nearly).
>>
>> So that's another way to handle this (just to move off prettytable
>> entirely).
>
> This sounds like a reasonable alternative...

IMHO contributing to an actively developped library (tabulate) seems
more productive than starting to maintain a second library which is
currently no more maintained.

Does anyone know how much code should be modified to replace prettytable
with tabulate on the whole OpenStack project?

--

I don't like the global trend in OpenStack to create a new community
separated from the Python community. In general, OpenStack libraries

(I also know why projects are moved into OpenStack "big tent", they are
some good arguments.)

Well, that's my feeling that OpenStack and Python communities are
splitted, maybe I'm wrong ;-) I just want to avoid what happened in
Zope: a lot of great code and great libraries, but too many dependencies
and at the end a different community.

Victor