[openstack-dev] [all] re-introducing twisted to global-requirements

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jan 7 19:41:12 UTC 2016

On 01/07/2016 02:09 PM, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A change to global-requirements[1] introduces mimic, which is an http
> server that can mock various APIs, including nova and ironic, including
> control of error codes and timeouts. The ironic team plans to use this
> for testing python-ironicclient without standing up a full ironic
> environment.
>
> Here's the catch - mimic is built on twisted. I know twisted was
> previously removed from OpenStack (or at least people said "pls no", I
> don't know the full history). We didn't intend to stealth-introduce
> twisted back into g-r, but it was pointed out to me that it may appear
> this way, so here I am letting everyone know. lifeless pointed out that
> when tests are failing, people may end up digging into mimic or twisted
> code, which most people in this community aren't familiar with AFAIK,
> which is a valid point though I hope it isn't required often.
>
> So, the primary question here is: do folks have a problem with adding
> twisted here? We're holding off on Ironic changes that depend on this
> until this discussion has happened, but aren't reverting the g-r change
> until we decide one way or another.
>
> // jim

What is the advantage of running another server like this over using
requests-mock (which is used by other OpenStack projects for testing
today)? The only difference here seems to be that you actually execute
requests code in one case and not in the other.

Requests-mock debugging when things go wrong seems a bit simpler.

This is less about twisted and more about trying to not introduce yet
another way to mock code in the tree that people need to understand.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net