[openstack-dev] [kolla] Adding Ubuntu Liberty to Kolla-Mitaka

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jan 7 14:08:04 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-07 19:25:17 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I'm not "complaining". This sounds like a kid whining, which isn't what
> I'm doing.
[...]

Apologies, it was a poor word choice on my part.

> Once such image is there, I'll maintain it the best I can. I'm already
> maintaining the official Debian OpenStack images available at
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/openstack/, which IMO could be used as
> a base image (provided we can arrange to fix the cloud-init missing
> systemd service files, which isn't hard to do IMO).

What we really need is a working debian-minimal element in
diskimage-builder. We use glean instead of cloud-init anyway, so
hopefully missing cloud-init systemd unit files isn't a blocker for
that.

> Now, about using Ubuntu instead of Debian. We've gone through this
> multiple times. Since you are going back on this, let me try again to
> explain my view and convince you that what you're proposing isn't a
> viable option, even for the short therm.
>
> Just using a chroot is *not* an option, because I want to use Debian to
> do tempest runs. This isn't something just to be done in the future, but
> right now, as I already have all the scripts available to make it
> happen.
[...]

This is the bit of detail I was missing... so one of the jobs you
want runs Tempest against an OpenStack installation consisting of
modified distibution packages. Noble, if somewhat ambitious. Jobs to
just test that your package configuration builds on a clean system
and passes checks with lintian, piuparts, et cetera would be a much
simpler place to start.

> Moving forward, I created a patch, but really, it feels like I don't
> know what I'm doing and many things are missing. Comments and
> improvement are of course more than welcome. [2]

Cool, let's continue the discussion in that and subsequent code
reviews. It'll hopefully be a much more productive exchange that
way.
--
Jeremy Stanley