[openstack-dev] [telemetry][aodh][vitrage] The purpose of notification about alarm updating

gord chung gord at live.ca
Wed Jan 6 13:52:05 UTC 2016

On 06/01/2016 8:11 AM, AFEK, Ifat (Ifat) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We would like to be notified once an alarm state is changed, so we prefer using the message bus.
> As far as I understand, ceilometer and aodh APIs do not provide immediate notifications. If we use the APIs, we will have to poll the data periodically and look for changes, and we will get them in delay. By listening to the message bus we can get the notifications immediately, like we do with other openstack components.
>
> Is there an advantage in using the API instead?
> And what do you mean by "aggregation on events data"? what kind of aggregations can we do?
>
> Thanks,
> Ifat.

is the idea that you don't want to use a webhook to be notified? when an
alarm is computed by aodh-evaluator, it sends this alarm (via message
queue) to aodh-notifier which in turns does the webhook. if you just
disable aodh-notifier, the alarm won't be consumed and you can listen to
it yourself.

alternatively, it was discussed that maybe adding a zaqar notifier would
be useful. that way, aodh-notifier would send alarm to zaqar and you
could configure it to requeue or maybe send a smtp.

--
gord