[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible][designate] Regarding Designate install through Openstack-Ansible

Jesse Pretorius jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:26:21 UTC 2016

Hi Swati,

You're making good progress!

I've reviewed 1 and it looks right.
With regards to 2, it seems that according to [1] you need to run
'designate-manage database sync' after setting up the database. We have a
similar pattern in [2] which you can model from.

With regards to 4, the task 'Get Modern PIP using fallback URL' should
never fail, so something is wrong there. Did you confirm that the container
actually does have access to the internet (via a ping or something)? If so,
did you confirm that it's not an MTU issue which is causing dropped
packets? Alternatively it could also be that your lxc-net is using the same
internal IP range as something in the path of traffic from the container to
the internet.

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/designate/getting-started.html#initialize-start-the-central-service
[2]
https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible/blob/master/playbooks/roles/os_cinder/tasks/cinder_db_setup.yml

On 28 December 2015 at 10:49, Sharma Swati6 <sharma.swati6 at tcs.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks alot for your valuable feedback Jesse.
>
> *Point 1 :*
>
> I have made the appropriate Designate entry in the file here :*
> /playbooks/defaults/repo_packages/openstack_services.yml* and uploaded it
> for review here :
> https://github.com/sharmaswati6/designate_files/blob/master/playbooks/defaults/repo_packages/openstack_services.yml
> Here, I have taken the* 'designate_git_install_branch:'* as the most
> recent one on '17.12.2015'
>

> *Point 2 :*The execution of tasks and handlers is very well explained in
> your answer. Thanks for that :)
>

> *Point 3 :*With regards to creating a DB user & DB, I have modeled the
> file from glance and placed it here:
> https://github.com/sharmaswati6/designate_files/blob/master/playbooks/roles/os_designate/tasks/designate_db_setup.yml
>

> *Point 4 :*I also raised that I am facing an error while running the
> playbook, for which I have pasted the results at
> http://paste.openstack.org/show/482171/ . On IRC, Jesse <osyssey4me:>
> recommended to attach the designate container first and check the internet
> connection.
> I did attach the new designate_container and pinged some address for the
> connectivity check. This works fine here, but I get the same error while
> running playbook.
> *Any other probable cause? *
>
> Once this is done, I will checkout the next step suggested by Jesse, i.e.
> to see the designate service in the Keystone service catalog and  interact
> with it via the CLI?
>
> Please share your suggestions.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Swati Sharma
> System Engineer
> Tata Consultancy Services
> Mailto: sharma.swati6 at tcs.com
> Website: http://www.tcs.com
> Openstack-Ansible
>
> Hi Swati,
>
> It looks like you're doing well so far! In addition to my review feedback
> via IRC, let me try to answer your questions.
>
> The directory containing the files which hold the SHA's is here:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible/tree/master/playbooks/defaults/repo_packages
>
> Considering that Designate is an OpenStack Service, the appropriate
> entries should be added into this file:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ansible/blob/master/playbooks/defaults/repo_packages/openstack_services.yml
>
> The order of the services is generally alphabetic, so Designate should be
> added after Cinder and before Glance.
>
> I'm not sure I understand your second question, but let me try and respond
> with what I think you're asking. Assuming a running system with all the
> other components, and an available container for Designate, the workflow
> will be:
>
> 1 - you execute the os-designate-install.yml playbook.
> 2 - Ansible executes the pre-tasks, then the role at
> [...]

Jesse Pretorius
mobile: +44 7586 906045
email: jesse.pretorius at gmail.com
skype: jesse.pretorius