[openstack-dev] [CLI][os-client-config][neutron] CLI option questions

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 12:45:18 UTC 2016

A series of os-client-config integration for neutronclient are proposed.
Several questions hit me during reviewing
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/242096.
It is a review of neutroncleint, but I think it is generic to all CLIs.

(1) global option vs command-specific option

Various python-*client supports --timeout global option to specify HTTP timeout.
In neutronclient, --timeout option is used by lb-healthmonitor-create and others
and we use --http-timeout as a global option to specify HTTP timeout.

The above review proposes to use os-client-config for common arguments.
This itself is great, but it breaks the current options.

My understanding is this is the limitation of argparse.
Is there any suggested guidelines on how to manage global options?

(2) --os-interface vs --os-endpoint-type

Do we need to deprecate --os-endpoint-type in favar of --os-interface?
openstack client and os-client-config use --os-interface.
Most per-project CLI use --os-endpoint-type now.
Is --os-interface our way to go?

Thanks,
Akihiro