[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Versioning of the fwaas API

Eichberger, German german.eichberger at hpe.com
Mon Jan 4 21:22:01 UTC 2016

In LBaaS with going with two distinct endpoints we were sort of skirting the backwards compatibility problem, e.g. People need to go full V2 with their infrastructure or stay at V1. This was informed by our understanding that nobody in his right mind would run V1… but believe me people are crazy :-)

IN LBaaS we also didn’t allow to run V1 and V2 side-by-side aka you had to choose only one for your installation. I think we could technically achieve that (especially if we have a new DB for V2) but I am not sure if it’s worth the hassle...

For LBaaS doing the hard break had side effects: Despite the API being around for two cycles we still don’t have Horizon support in LBaaS V2 (which is changing) - so if we can avoid the hard break in FWaaS and invest in some API compatibility layer all those things like Horizon, Heat, etc. can update at their leisure while still working with V2. That is the first thing which needs to be decided.

Secondly, if we decide that we allow the use of both versions side-by-side that will ask for a different design than if we would just do a hard breaK. So let’s assume we have an API compatibility layer than I would think the [3] would work with the new stuff using the custom header and the old stuff would not.

German