[openstack-dev] [kolla] unblocking the gate

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Feb 29 18:42:41 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016, at 09:09 AM, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:

> On 2/29/16, 12:26 AM, "Andreas Jaeger" <aj at suse.com> wrote:
> >This is not needed, the CI system always rebases if you run tests. To
> >get current tests, a simple "recheck" is enough.
> >
> >Also, we test in the gate before merging - again after rebasing to head.
> >That should take care of not merging anything broken. Running recheck
> >after a larger change will ensure that you have recent results.
>
> Andreas,
>
> Thanks for the recheck information.  I thought the gate ran against what
> it was submitted with as head.  We don't have any gate jobs at present
> (or
> many) they are mostly check jobs, so its pre-merge checking that we need
> folks to do.

To clarify the check pipeline changes are merged into their target
branches before testing and the gate pipeline changes are merged into
the forward looking state of the world that Zuul generates as part of
gate testing. This means you do not need to rebase and create new
patchsets to get updated test results, just recheck.

You should only need to rebase and create a new patchset if a merge
conflict exists.

Clark