[openstack-dev] How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Feb 28 18:33:23 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-28 10:30:18 +0000 (+0000), Neil Jerram wrote:
[...]
> In the networking-calico project, which is release:independent, we
> keep the Debian and RPM packaging together with the non-packaging
> code. When the time comes for a release, we'd like to update the
> Debian and RPM versions and changelogs first (and merge that) and
> then ask for the project to be tagged and released to PyPI. We'd
> like the Debian and RPM versions to match the tag and PyPI version
> - and so my original question in this thread was really 'how can
> we predict what the next tag and PyPI version will be?'
[...]

Distro package maintainers generally recommend against that
approach, since requiring an upstream version bump when you're only
adjusting the packaging is somewhat misleading. Say you need to
tweak some platform-specific metadata in the RPM package... it's
potentially misleading for there to be a new upstream release of the
software, and also a new DEB package, with no actual changes to
either. It's usually suggested to keep your packaging at least in a
different branch per distro, or even in a separate Git repository
entirely, so that the state of the packaging files is not
unnecessarily entangled with the state of the software itself (and
vice versa).
--
Jeremy Stanley