[openstack-dev] [murano] Berkshelf/Chef/Puppet installation on Murano images

Olivier Lemasle olivier.lemasle at apalia.net
Fri Feb 26 12:35:59 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Some months ago, I started to work on a Murano integration with
Berkshelf [1] to manage Chef cookbooks dependencies when Murano deploys
a Chef cookbook (cf spec [2]).

The main work is in murano-agent and was merged in last November [3].

However, I still haven't finalize the work with the integration tests
(review on hold [4]) because it requires having Berkshelf installed on
the image (and the latest murano-agent).

I still wonder what is the best way to install Berkshelf.

Currently, Chef and Puppet are installed along with Murano agent in the
DIB elements [5]
However, the murano-apps examples using Chef and Puppet contain
additional DIB elements to install Chef/Puppet [6]; I suppose they
aren't needed anymore.

Of course, we can install Berkshelf in Murano agent DIB elements. But do
we really want this additional software coming up in Murano images even
if neither Berkshelf nor Chef is used?

An other solution is to install Berkshelf at runtime using cloud-init,
like Henar Muñoz did for Chef and Puppet last month [7]. However, I'm a
little bit confused by all these solutions. Is there a recommended
solution? And which solution should I use to make my functional tests
work [4]?

One more thing: the recommended way to install Berkshelf is now to use
ChefDK (Chef Development Kit), which includes multiple tools [8].
An Ubuntu image with murano-agent installed with DIB elements (including
Chef & Puppet) is 438 MB. If I add ChefDK, the image is 794 MB...
It is possible to install Berkshelf only using Ruby gems [9] but it's
not the recommended way.

Any thought?

[1] http://berkshelf.com/
[2]