[openstack-dev] How do I calculate the semantic version prior to a release?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Feb 26 11:24:27 UTC 2016

On 2016-02-26 11:13:52 +0000 (+0000), Neil Jerram wrote:
> I understand the semantic versioning algorithm for calculating a new
> version.  But what do I run, in a git repository, to do that calculation
> for me, and output:
>
> - the new semantic version that would be used if I asked for a formal
> release to PyPI
[...]

To my knowledge, we have no automation to do this for you. Deciding
what the next version number of a project should be based on any
backward incompatibility, new features and so on, is a human-made
determination. Someone identifies these factors a bit subjectively
based on the published guidelines and history/release notes and then
pushes a tag with a new version number based on that determination.

If you're using PBR in an unreleased repository state, it can
auto-calculate a temporary "dev" version based on the lowest
possible next version number which sorts after the most recent tag,
but that's really only a reflection of what the next version should
be _if_ all the changes since the last tag are trivial bug fixes.
--
Jeremy Stanley