[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Intra-column wrapping in python-neutronclient

Brian Haley brian.haley at hpe.com
Thu Feb 25 17:25:11 UTC 2016

On 2/24/16 3:58 PM, Steve Baker wrote:
> On 25/02/16 06:23, Carl Baldwin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed a new behavior from the python-neutronclient which
>> disturbs me.  For me, this just started happening with my latest build
>> of devstack which I built yesterday.  It didn't happen with another
>> recent but little bit older devstack.
>>
>> The issue is that the client is now wrapping content within columns.
>> For example:
>>

>> +---------------------------------+---------+----------------------------------+
>>
>>    | id                              | name    | subnets
>>
>> +---------------------------------+---------+----------------------------------+
>>
>>    | eb850219-6a42-42ed-ac6a-        | public  |
>> 099745e5-4925-4572-a88f-         |
>>    | 927b03a0dc77                    |         | a5376206c892
>> 172.24.4.0/24       |
>>    |                                 |         | 5b6dfb0d-c97e-48ae-
>>    |                                 |         | 98c9-7fe3e1e8e88b
>> 2001:db8::/64  |
>>    | ec73110f-                       | private | 4073b9e7-a58e-4d6e-
>>    | 86ad-4292-9547-7c2789a7023b     |         | a2e4-7a45ae899671
>> 10.0.0.0/24    |
>>    |                                 |         |
>> f12aee80-fc13-4adf-a0eb-         |
>>    |                                 |         | 706af4319094
>> fd9d:e27:3eab::/64  |
>>
>> +---------------------------------+---------+----------------------------------+
>>

>> Notice how the ids in the first column are wrapped within the column.
>> I personally don't see this as an aesthetic improvement.  It destroys
>> by ability to cut and paste the data within this column.  When I
>> stretch my console out to fix it, I have to rerun the command with the
>> new window width to fix it.  I used to be able to stretch my console
>> horizontally and the wrapped would automatically go away.
> My intention was that it be a usability improvement rather than merely
> an aesthetic one. Yes, it is unfortunate that it affects this specific
> copy paste scenario but there are others where it is improved. I've
> often been in the situation where I don't know which uuid to copy
> because of the amount of overlap of unrelated columns.

But even in your case, if the uuid of interest was wrapped it wouldn't
be a candidate for cut/paste, so it's just as broken.

>> How can I turned this off now?  Also, can I request that this new
>> "feature" be disabled by default?
>>
> Table resizing only occurs when a tty is present. This means that any
> existing script which parses table output will not be affected. It also
> means that you can disable it by piping your command to cat.
>
> If you're unwilling to adapt, or specify formatting options, or pipe to
> cat, then I would recommend that you submit a change to cliff to read a
> user set environment variable to switch off table resizing.

I don't think it's OK to change the formatting, then introduce a change
to get the original behavior back, the change should be considered a
bug.  If we want a different behavior then *that* should be controlled
through some new option.

I filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-cliff/+bug/1549906

-Brian