[openstack-dev] [puppet] What's up in our CI?

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobrelia at mirantis.com
Thu Feb 25 13:00:07 UTC 2016

On 25.02.2016 03:28, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> 1/ CI failures
> For those who contributed to Puppet OpenStack modules over the last
> days, you might have noticed our CI was pretty unstable.
>
> The main reason is that our 2 scenarios are overloaded by the number of
> services & tests, so they randomly timeout.

I'm just wondering if we should consider to switch to the "VM-like"
docker (v.1.10) centos/ubuntu based containers plus pipework [0] for
advanced networking? Yes, this'd be not a "docker way", but containers
provide less overhead to HW infra and are really lightweight comparing
to VMs!

Sorry, it that was an off-topic/irrelevant... But I have a simple PoC
example [1] that proves that it works more or less, at least for me,
well - it tests a rabbitmq cluster built on top of a pacemaker cluster
in docker containers at Travis CI. No nodepools, and only VM's involved
is the one that Travis spawns for a user's job.

[0] https://github.com/jpetazzo/pipework
[1]
https://github.com/bogdando/rabbitmq-cluster-ocf-vagrant/blob/master/.travis.yml_example

> Here are some actions that should bring back our CI in a good shape:
> * Add scenario003 and move some services from 001/002 to 003
>   https://review.openstack.org/284388
> * Optimize Zuul layout to consume less resources in OpenStack Infra
>   https://review.openstack.org/284431
> * Continue to reduce to 2 the number of workers when possible
>   https://review.openstack.org/284289
> * Investigate why `gem install r10k` takes 12 minutes on Internap cloud
>   (instead of a few seconds on other clouds)
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/283696/
>

> 2/ scenario001 is the RBD scenario
> scenario001 is now deploying Glance, Nova, Cinder and Gnocchi with RBD
> backend (Ceph).
> We can call it a Compute + Telemetry + Ceph scenario.
>

> 3/ What's next
> Currently in the pipe:
> * running tempest with plugins
> * add Zaqar
> * add Neutron FWaaS, LBaaS
> * on scenario002: use Swift for Glance backand and Neutron ML2
> linuxbridge (instead of ML2 OVS).
> * more (please bring ideas & feedback)
>
> Any questions / suggestions are welcome,

Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,
Irc #bogdando