[openstack-dev] [Nova][Migration][RFC]: What are in progress migration?

少合冯 lvmxhster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 08:26:00 UTC 2016

There's one current nova code define it as follow:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/db/sqlalchemy/api.py#L4535-L4546

that means: beside [ 'accepted', 'confirmed', 'reverted', 'error', 'failed'
], other status are all in progress.
Note: here  finished is in progress.

John Garbutt has raised the same question in the code review.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/258771/29/nova/db/sqlalchemy/api.py

There are two problems want to discuss.

1.  should "finished" be in progress?
from literal meaning, it should not.
So we should add it to  non-in-progress list.

And should not return the "finished" migration when users use
migration-index to fetch it.

But is this reasonable?
A user do a migration, he get nothing information about the  migrations by
migration-index after it is finished.

2. I wonder what's the difference among "done", "completed" and "finished" ?
I use  this command:
$ git grep "migration.*status"
I have gotten all migrations status beside non-in-progress as follow.
 done, post-migrating, preparing, queued, completed, accepted,  finished,
running.

The current migration.status define is not good for read so I file a bug. (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1549558)