[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Qiming Teng tengqim at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 25 08:13:56 UTC 2016

Hi, All,

After reading through all the +1's and -1's, we realized how difficult
it is to come up with a proposal that makes everyone happy. When we are
discussing this proposal with some other contributors, we came up with a
proposal which is a little bit different. This idea could be very
impractical, very naive, given that we don't know much about the huge
efforts behind the scheduling, planning, coordination ... etc etc. So,
please treat this as a random thought.

Maybe we can still have the Summit and the Design Summit colocated, but
we can avoid the overlap that has been the source of many troubles. The
idea is to have both events scheduled by the end of a release cycle. For
example:

Week 1:
  Wednesday-Friday: 3 days Summit.
    * Primarily an event for marketing, sales, CTOs, architects,
      operators, journalists, ...
    * Contributors can decide whether they want to attend this.
  Saturday-Sunday:
    * Social activities: contributors meet-up, hang outs ...

Week 2:
  Monday-Wednesday: 3 days Design Summit
    * Primarily an event for developers.
    * Operators can hold meetups during these days, or join project
      design summits.

If you need to attend both events, you don't need two trips. Scheduling
both events by the end of a release cycle can help gather more
meaningful feedbacks, experiences or lessons from previous releases and
ensure a better plan for the coming release.

If you want to attend just the main Summit or only the Design Summit,
you can plan your trip accordingly.

Thoughts?

 - Qiming