[openstack-dev] Outreachy May-Aug 2016: Call for funding and mentors

Victoria Martínez de la Cruz victoria at vmartinezdelacruz.com
Wed Feb 24 18:46:17 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

Quick update on the Outreachy <https://www.gnome.org/outreachy/> program,
including a request for funding and volunteer mentors. For those of you who
are not aware, Outreachy helps people from groups underrepresented in free
and open source software get involved by matching interns with established
mentors in the upstream community.

OpenStack haven't confirmed the participation to this Outreachy round yet,
but despite of that we are receiving applicants interested in contribute to
different projects. We have already 10 volunteer mentors for OpenStack this
next cycle, which will take place May 23 - August 23, 2016. OpenStack could
use a few more volunteer mentors for any project. You can learn more about
what is expected from mentors and how to apply here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Outreachy/Mentors

We have some potential sponsors, but we could use some additional sponsors
to help support the large increase in OpenStack applicants. The sponsorship
cost is 6,500 USD per intern, which provide them a stipend for the
three-month program. You can learn more about sponsorship here:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreachy/Admin/InfoForOrgs#Action

I personally believe Outreachy is one of the most important and effective
diversity efforts we’ve invested in to date. We’ve had some amazing
graduates become long-term contributors to our community.

Please help spread the word. If you are interested in becoming a mentor or
sponsoring an intern, please contact me (victoria AT redhat.com) or
Mahati (mahati.chamarthy
AT gmail.com).

Thanks,

Victoria