[openstack-dev] [kolla][infra] Publishing kolla images to docker-registry.openstack.org

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed Feb 24 15:47:12 UTC 2016

Ricardo,

I measured the disk space used by the docker registry.

For ubuntu images, it is 1.5gb.
For centos images, it is 2.5gb.
For oraclelinux images, it is 2.5gb. (derivative of centos)
The delta between centos and Ubuntu has to do with the usage of apt vs
yum, where apt only installs a minimum set of requirement files.

For all distro and source combinations it is 1.5+1.5+2.5+2.5+2.5+2.5=13
Gbs for all containers (about 500 or so containers)

13gb * (3 release tags + 1 release tag + 3 Rcs per cycle) = 91gb per cycle
13gb * 30 days = 390gb

So the storage requirements are not as bad as originally thought.

Note it takes me 6 minutes to build on my PCIE SSD with gigabit to the
Internet via Cox communications.  It takes 2 minutes to push to a local
registry at 10 gigabit with PCIE SSDs.

Our gate job with mirrors of the APT repos takes between 25 and 30 minutes
to build.  A post job to build and push the commit on tag or nightly is
easy for us to tackle on the kolla end.

Where we are stumped is should we push to registry.openstack.org which I
would prefer, or push to the docker registry.

Another issue is getting the authentication credentials in the gate
securely - somehow it needs to be injected into our post jobs without us
having to check our credentials into the repository.

Regards
-steve