[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 21:11:44 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 7:14 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> TL;DR: Let's split the events, starting after Barcelona

Thank you for the excellent write-up, Thierry (and everyone else behind
it)! This sounds great to me.

> [...]
> based on the recent release only two weeks after it's out. The summit date
> is also too early to leverage all the users attending the summit to gather
> feedback on the recent release -- not a lot of people would have tried
> upgrades by summit time. Finally a common event is also suboptimal for the
> events organization : finding venues that can accommodate both events is
> becoming increasingly complicated.
>
> Time is ripe for a change. After Tokyo, we at the Foundation have been
> considering options on how to evolve our events to solve those issues. This
> proposal is the result of this work. There is no perfect solution here (and
> this is still work in progress), but we are confident that this strawman
> solution solves a lot more problems than it creates, and balances the needs
> of the various constituents of our community.
>
> The idea would be to split the events. The first event would be for
> upstream technical contributors to OpenStack. It would be held in a
> simpler, scaled-back setting that would let all OpenStack project teams
> meet in separate rooms, but in a co-located event that would make it easy
> to have ad-hoc cross-project discussions. It would happen closer to the
> centers of mass of contributors, in less-expensive locations.
>
> More importantly, it would be set to happen a couple of weeks /before/ the
> previous cycle release. There is a lot of overlap between cycles. Work on a
> cycle starts at the previous cycle feature freeze, while there is still 5
> weeks to go. Most people switch full-time to the next cycle by RC1.
> Organizing the event just after that time lets us organize the work and
> kickstart the new cycle at the best moment. It also allows us to use our
> time together to quickly address last-minute release-critical issues if
> such issues arise.
>
> The second event would be the main downstream business conference, with
> high-end keynotes, marketplace and breakout sessions. It would be organized
> two or three months /after/ the release, to give time for all downstream
> users to deploy and build products on top of the release. It would be the
> best time to gather feedback on the recent release, and also the best time
> to have strategic discussions: start gathering requirements for the next
> cycle, leveraging the very large cross-section of all our community that
> attends the event.

> To that effect, we'd still hold a number of strategic planning sessions at
> the main event to gather feedback, determine requirements and define
> overall cross-project themes, but the session format would not require all
> project contributors to attend. A subset of contributors who would like to
> participate in this sessions can collect and relay feedback to other team
> members for implementation (similar to the Ops midcycle). Other
> contributors will also want to get more involved in the conference, whether
> that's giving presentations or hearing user stories.

Today, there are a subset of contributors who are expected to: give
presentations, meet with customers, hear feedback from operators, lead and
attend design sessions, and have social time with their project team. These
contributors are the ones who are most likely to attend both the Conference
and a separately-timed summit.

By reducing or removing the latter two obligations from this subset of
contributors, I believe there is a direct benefit to all of the attendees
of the Conference: it will allow these contributors to represent their
areas of expertise to the business and operator communities. I've felt that
this representation has been lacking since Paris, and I'm eager to see it
restored.

So this gets a big +1 from me.

> The split should ideally reduce the needs to organize separate in-person
> mid-cycle events. If some are still needed, the main conference venue and
> time could easily be used to provide space for such midcycle events (given
> that it would end up happening in the middle of the cycle).

If this "extra midcycle" is sanctioned by the foundation, even if optional,
I'm concerned that it would grow until developer attendance is expected
again. That said, I can appreciate the need to keep the option open for
now. Perhaps if the Conference organizers include a hack-space and allow
developers to self-organize if present, it will avoid the draw that a
formal midcycle has?