[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hpe.com
Mon Feb 22 19:47:16 UTC 2016

On 02/22/2016 07:14 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> TL;DR: Let's split the events, starting after Barcelona.
>

> Time is ripe for a change. After Tokyo, we at the Foundation have been
> considering options on how to evolve our events to solve those issues.
> This proposal is the result of this work. There is no perfect solution
> here (and this is still work in progress), but we are confident that
> this strawman solution solves a lot more problems than it creates, and
> balances the needs of the various constituents of our community.
>
> The idea would be to split the events. The first event would be for
> upstream technical contributors to OpenStack. It would be held in a
> simpler, scaled-back setting that would let all OpenStack project
> teams meet in separate rooms, but in a co-located event that would
> make it easy to have ad-hoc cross-project discussions. It would happen
> closer to the centers of mass of contributors, in less-expensive
> locations.
I'm trying to follow this here.   If we want all of the projects in the
same location to hold a design summit, then all of the contributors are
still going to have to do international travel, which is the primary
cost for attendees.   I'm not sure how this saves the attendees much at
all, unless they just stop attending. Part of the justification for
myself for the summits is the ability to meet up with customers, as well
as do presentations on the work that my team has done over the last
release cycle, as well as the contributors meet up and cross project
networking.   If we break the summits up, then I may lose the ability to
justify my travel, if I don't get to meet with customers and do
presentations to the wider audience.

What kind of locations are we talking about here? Are we looking to stay
with one continent as it's deemed 'less-expensive'?  Will we still
alternate between Americas, Europe, Asia?  I'm not sure there is a way
to make it less expensive for all the projects as there are people from
around the globe working on each project.

Walt