[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Mon Feb 22 19:24:17 UTC 2016

Yeah, I think the really gray issue here is the dependency thing...

I think we would mostly agree that depending on a non free component for the actual
implementation is bad. So, the dependency through Cassandra on the Oracle JVM is
a problem.

But if you allow the argument that the plugins being semiclosed is ok because there just isnt
a fully open implementation yet for the plugins, you could make the same argument for
the database. Why not allow Cassandra now, since there isn't a non free implementation
of Cassandra yet?

It is a sticky problem. You could start putting in very carefully worded exceptions to allow the
one case but not the other, but would be ripe for abuse.

The other way to wrangle it would be continuing the discussion on what it would take to
make an acceptable enough open solution. Swift is close I think, but like you said, it doesn't have
geoip which may be needed to consider it a CDN. What features must a CDN have before its
considered a viable CDN?

Designate+Swift might be enough? What other gaps are there?

Thanks,
Kevin