[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Mon Feb 22 18:15:35 UTC 2016

Amrith raises an interesting point. This proposal moves from effectively 4 dev events a year to 2 dev events a year, thus *reducing* the amount of face-to-face time we have.

While my first reaction to the proposed changes is positive, de facto reduction of time spent together as devs seems counter-productive.

My thinking goes like this: we have mid-cycles currently. Regardless of if they are "required" or if they are official or not, effectively they are productive weeks that the most active contributors try to attend. And they are highly beneficial and productive weeks.

The current summits have time and space set aside for contributor communication. Over the last couple of years, these summit sessions have gotten better, not worse. While the current summit/conference design does indeed but a burden on some contributors (myself included--it's a really busy week), the majority of devs in the room during the current design sessions do *not* also have customer meetings, booth duty, two conference talks, and various company parties to attend.

I'm worried that we're losing valuable dev face-to-face time from the "long-tail" of contributors for the benefit of the minority of devs who are most active. And for those who are most active, we're still doing four events a year all over the world.

--John