[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Feb 22 16:02:58 UTC 2016

Anne Gentle wrote:
>> [...]
>>     In practice, the split means that we need to stagger the events and
>>     cycles. We have a long time between Barcelona and the Q1 Summit in
>>     the US, so the idea would be to use that long period to insert a
>>     smaller cycle (Ocata) with a release early March, 2017 and have the
>>     first specific contributors event at the start of the P cycle,
>>     mid-February, 2017. See the attached PDF for a visual explanation.
>>     With the already-planned events in 2016 and 2017 it is the earliest
>>     we can make the transition. We'd have a last, scaled-down design
>>     summit in Barcelona to plan the shorter cycle.
>
> Does this still mean there are OpenStack conferences every six months?

That is the current plan, venues are already being booked through
2017/2018...

>>     With that setup, we hope that we can restore the productivity and
>>     focus of the face-to-face contributors gathering, reduce the need to
>>     have midcycle events for social bonding and team building, keep the
>>     cost of getting all contributors together once per cycle under
>>     control, maintain the feedback loops with all the constituents of
>>     the OpenStack community at the main event, and better align the
>>     timing of each event with the reality of the release cycles.
>
> Could you describe the discussion points around timing besides being
> related to releases?

I think the "too early / too late" points in the attached PDF should
make it clearer. Basically the current timing for the common event is
not satisfactory for anyone. Splitting them lets us pick a more ideal
time for both sides.

> Is there any case for annual large events and smaller release-oriented
> events?

Upstream-wise we need one event per cycle. Downstream-wise... I kinda
like the US / Europe / US / APAC rotation as it lets us reach users
locally once per year (for the US) and once every 2 years (for Europe /
APAC). But there is definitely room for evolution there as well.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)