[openstack-dev] [all] A proposal to separate the design summit

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Feb 22 15:50:12 UTC 2016

On 02/22/2016 10:14 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
<snip>
> The idea would be to split the events. The first event would be for
> upstream technical contributors to OpenStack. It would be held in a
> simpler, scaled-back setting that would let all OpenStack project teams
> meet in separate rooms, but in a co-located event that would make it
> easy to have ad-hoc cross-project discussions. It would happen closer to
> the centers of mass of contributors, in less-expensive locations.
>
> More importantly, it would be set to happen a couple of weeks /before/
> the previous cycle release. There is a lot of overlap between cycles.
> Work on a cycle starts at the previous cycle feature freeze, while there
> is still 5 weeks to go. Most people switch full-time to the next cycle
> by RC1. Organizing the event just after that time lets us organize the
> work and kickstart the new cycle at the best moment. It also allows us
> to use our time together to quickly address last-minute release-critical
> issues if such issues arise.

My only concern with this proposal is that the PTLs and some key core
contributors may be working on final release bugs, and also need to
switch gears for the next release. It almost feels like we'd need teams
to have a tic / toc leadership model that ensures some set of cores are
doing planning for v.next while some set are putting the old release to bed.

Maybe that happens naturally enough that it's not a huge concern.

Overall this seems like a great plan. And the only places it concerns me
is around existing issues of key folks just being pulled in too many
directions at once. This doesn't make this really any better or worse,
just a different contention point.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague