[openstack-dev] [neutron] Backup port info to restore the flow rules

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Mon Feb 22 11:03:36 UTC 2016

Jian Wen <wenjianhn at gmail.com> wrote:

>    I don't think it's enough for a large scale cloud.
>
>    When the neutron server is not available and the flow rules are gone,
>    we need the backup to restore the flow rules.

Flows should not be reset when neutron-server is down. If that’s the case,
it’s a bug to fix (and we fixed one in stable/liberty+ lately).

>    We have more than a thousand physical servers in our production environment.
>    Rare events will occur where combined failures or unanticipated failures
>    require human interaction. For example, a cron job accidentlly killed the
>    OvS service(flows will be gone) when one of RabbitMQ, MySQL and neutron
>    server is down/unavailable.

Well, one could argue that’s an issue in the cron job itself.

Agent could probably try to restore the state from its internal state. If
that’s the missing bit you want to have, I think that could stand for a
proper RFE.

Ihar