[openstack-dev] [glance]one more use case for Image Import Refactor from OPNFV

Ian Cordasco sigmavirus24 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:10:36 UTC 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com>
Date: February 19, 2016 at 06:45:38
To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [glance]one more use case for Image Import Refactor from OPNFV

> On 02/18/2016 10:29 PM, joehuang wrote:
> > There is difference between " An end user is able to import image from another Glance
> in another OpenStack cloud while sharing same identity management( KeyStone )"
>
> This is an invalid use case, IMO. What's wrong with exporting the image
> from one OpenStack cloud and importing it to another? What does a shared
> identity management service have to do with anything?

I have to agree with Jay. I'm not sure I understand the value of adding this scenario when what we're concerned with is not clouds uploading to other clouds (or importing from other clouds) but instead how a cloud's users would import data into Glance.

> > and other use cases. The difference is the image import need to reuse
> the token in the source Glance, other ones don't need this.
>
> Again, this use case is not valid, IMO.
>
> I don't care to cater to these kinds of use cases.

I'd like to understand the needs better before dismissing them out of hand, but I'm leaning towards agreeing with Jay.

What you might prefer is a way to get something akin to Swift's TempURL so you could give that as a location to your other Glance instance. We don't support that though and there doesn't seem any use case that we would like to support that would necessitate that.

--
Ian Cordasco
Glance Core Reviewer