[openstack-dev] [heat] intrinsic function bugfixes and hot versioning

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Fri Feb 19 17:36:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:40:16AM +0100, Thomas Herve wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 7:54 PM, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > So, Zane and I have discussed $subject and it was suggested I take this to
> > the list to reach consensus.
> >
> > Recently, I've run into a couple of small but inconvenient limitations in
> > our intrinsic function implementations, specifically for str_replace and
> > repeat, both of which did not behave the way I expected when referencing
> > things via get_param/get_attr:
>
> Disclaimer: compatibility is not black and white, especially in these
> cases. We need to make decisions based on the impact we can imagine on
> users, so it's certainly subjective. That said:
>
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1539737
>
> I think it works fine as a bug fix.

Ok, I've followed up on Zanes comments re the fix here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/282394/

And squashed both patches as a backport to stable/liberty:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/282403/

> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1546684
>
> I agree that a new version would be better.
>
> The main difference for me is that even if it's arguable, you could
> build a working template relying on the current behavior (having a
> template returned by a function).
> If you find a way to keep the current behavior *and* have the one you
> expect, then I can see it as a bug fix.

Yeah, given the feedback here, on the review and in the bug, I've abandoned
the patch and will submit a spec instead so we can work through the
interface concerns and figure out a backwards-compatible way to do it.

Thanks!

Steve