[openstack-dev] What's Up, Doc? 19 Feb 2016

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Feb 19 04:07:44 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

This week I've been focusing on general housekeeping duties as we prepare to rush headlong into the release. I've cleaned up the blueprints list, and also been burning through the oldest bugs in our queue. I'm very pleased to report that the overall number of bugs has reduced dramatically in the past month or two, and the number of untriaged bugs is holding steady at a much lower rate than previously. I think this probably has a lot to do with the DocImpact changes we made at the beginning of the year, so it's very gratifying to see some solid improvement starting to filter through. In other news, thanks to all those people who helped us with locating pre-release packages for the Install Guide. Please feel free to begin testing! The more people we have testing, the better and more accurate our docs will be, which helps everyone.

== Progress towards Mitaka ==

47 days to go!

417 bugs closed so far for this release. There is a global bug smash event coming up March 7-9 to try and hit as many Mitaka bugs as possible. You can join an in-person group near you, or participate remotely. There are still plenty of docs bugs that can be attended to. Details here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/OpenStack-Bug-Smash-Mitaka

Docs Testing
* Volunteers required!
* https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MitakaDocTesting

RST Conversions
* All planned RST conversions are now complete!

Reorganisations
* Arch Guide: really needs a last minute push to get this complete before Mitaka. If you can help out, it would be greatly appreciated!
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/archguide-mitaka-reorg
** Contact the Ops Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OpsGuide
* User Guides
** https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/user-guides-reorganised
** Contact the User Guide Speciality team: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/User_Guides

DocImpact
* Is now complete

== The Road to Austin ==

* ATC passes are going out now, so keep an eye on your inbox for your discount code if you haven't received yours yet.
* Talk voting is now closed
* You should be starting to think about booking travel and accommodation soon! If you need a visa to travel to the United States, there's more info here: https://www.openstack.org/summit/austin-2016/austin-and-travel/#visa

== Speciality Teams ==

'''HA Guide - Bogdan Dobrelya'''
No update this week.

'''Installation Guide - Matt Kassawara'''
Testing Mitaka milestone 3 using RDO packages and submitting patches for review. Lead of the install guide changed from Christian Berendt to Matt Kassawara.

'''Networking Guide - Edgar Magana'''
No update this week.

'''Security Guide - Nathaniel Dillon'''
No update this week.

'''User Guides - Joseph Robinson'''
The new User Guide team meetings are a success. We now have more contributors, and are discussing doc editing, new content, and Information Architecture of the User Guides.

'''Ops and Arch Guides - Shilla Saebi'''
Architecture guide reorganization is underway. We have a drafts repo in openstack-manuals, feel free to ping Shilla or Darren Chan if you are interested in helping out. Considering doing a swarm or work session at the summit in Austin for the Arch guide. Operations guide RST migration pending - conversations still happening to see which route we'll take. Still deciding if the ops guide should have another revision or edition, see ML e-mails. Call for volunteers email went out to the ops and docs ML from Devon Boatwright. We are looking for help! There is a global OpenStack bug smash scheduled for the Mitaka release in March. Details can be found here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/OpenStack-Bug-Smash-Mitaka We're looking for people to specifically help with the Architecture Guide, which is currently going through a reorganization. Here is the link for more details: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Architecture_Design_Guide_work_items If you are interested in helping out, more detail
s can be found about our team and our meetings here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/OpsGuide

'''API Docs - Anne Gentle'''
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2016-February/008286.html Swagger files now available at http://developer.openstack.org/draft/swagger/

'''Config Ref - Gauvain Pocentek'''
No update this week.

'''Training labs - Pranav Salunke, Roger Luethi'''
Fixing various things in training-labs cluster for VirtualBox and KVM backends. Improving workflow, configuration and making the library scripts nicer. Adding training-labs landing page (WIP). Summit related work. Some minor improvements.

'''Training Guides - Matjaz Pancur'''
No update this week.

'''Hypervisor Tuning Guide - Joe Topjian'''
No update this week.

'''UX/UI Docs Guidelines - Linette Williams'''
Enhancement to UI content guidelines underway. Expect a new review shortly that covers icons and text formatting. If interested or have questions, contact Linette or Piet Kruithof.

== Doc team meeting ==

Next meetings:

The US meeting was held this week, you can read the minutes here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/MeetingLogs#2016-02-14

Next meetings:
APAC: Wednesday 24 February, 00:30 UTC
US: Wednesday 2 March, 14:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

Note that there is currently discussion about moving the US meeting to 20:00 UTC. A patch is open to change this, with ongoing discussion about finding a meeting room: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/271361/

- --

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/WhatsUpDoc#19_February_2016