[openstack-dev] [oslo] upgrade implications of lots of content in paste.ini

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Feb 18 14:27:13 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Sean Dague's message of 2016-02-18 05:29:44 -0500:
> Ok, to make sure we all ended up on the same page at the end of this
> discussion, this is what I think I heard.
>
> 1) oslo.config is about to release with a feature that will make adding
> config to paste.ini not needed (i.e.
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/265415/ is no longer needed).

The new feature makes it possible for applications to override the
defaults *shown in the sample config*. It was always possible to
override them at runtime.

> 2) ideally the cors middleware will have sane defaults for that set of
> headers in oslo.config.

I thought the point was that the defaults needed to change based on the
application. So the middleware needs a public API to set those defaults
(something like the set_defaults function in oslo.log [1]), and then
applications that want to change the defaults need to call the new
function.

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/oslo.log/tree/oslo_log/log.py#n247

> 3) projects should be able to apply new defaults for these options in
> their codebase through a default override process (that is now nicely
> documented somewhere... url?)

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/oslo.config/generator.html#modifying-defaults-from-other-namespaces

It's a hook mechanism that relies on the app calling the existing public
APIs in libraries such as the middleware to change the defaults.