[openstack-dev] [ironic] Midcycle summary part 3/6
jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Wed Feb 17 20:14:29 UTC 2016
As our midcycle is virtual and split into 6 "sessions" for the sake of
timezones, we'll be sending a brief summary of each session so that
folks can catch up before the next one. All of this info should be on
the etherpad as well.
Session 2/6 was February 17, 1500-2000 UTC.
* Discussed boot-from-volume things
* This is something we'd like to start working on in Newton, though
depending on priority it may be an Otaca thing.
* Would like to ship a reference implementation first as the "base
case"; this would support a deployment where all of the below are
* Deployment has metadata service (configdrive not supported)
* Deployment does not require local boot (in other words, this will
only support booting the instance via iPXE)
* Hardware supports iPXE
* Hardware supports the UEFI 2.4 spec
* Once that ships, vendors are free to use vendor-specific features to
provide a better experience
* TheJulia will be writing a spec for this reference implementation
* Talked about how we might get a configdrive to the instance
* Some hardware may support it via virtualmedia
* Some hardware may support it via a second volume
* ironic-conductor could mount the volume and carve out a
configdrive partition. This has implications on network and
customer data security, cannot be used with encrypted volumes, and
could break an image that doesn't have sufficient space at the
* Discussed the node filter/claims API work
* Claims API should accept a list of node uuids and a count <= len(uuids)
* Talked about whether claims need to happen in the conductor
* Depends on outcome of live upgrades discussion, which has been
thought to require that only the conductor interact with the DB.
* This discussion may happen tomorrow, or we may wait for the
* Talked about making filter API performant, which depends on being
able to index properties and capabilites (currently JSON fields).
* Break those out into a key/value table.
* These currently have no length restriction, meaning MySQL cannot
index the full value.
* Postgres does not support prefix indices, which would solve that for
* We can't/shouldn't break users by suddenly restricting the length of
the values for these fields.
* Current plan:
* Break cpus, ram, local_gb properties into dedicated columns in the
node table, such that operations like < or > can be used.
* All other fields are in a key/value table and only support exact
* This key/value table will have a third column which is a hash of
the data; this will be indexed and used for filtering.
* Discussed ongoing grenade work
* jlvillal has made progress on that, though it still isn't working
* There's a thought that running REGEX=ironic tests, rather than all
smoke tests may help; yet to be verified.
* Work to allow more ironic nodes in the gate may help; some of the
smoke failures seem to be due to booting too many things at once.
* jlvillal warmly welcomes help with this :)
* Dogpiled on reviewing the manual cleaning patches
* Landed 2/4 patches, and updated the remaining two. These need
* further reviews and updates. Remaining patches are:
Thanks to all participants for another great session! :)
More information about the OpenStack-dev