[openstack-dev] [tacker][networking-sfc] Tacker VNFFG - SFC integration updates

Sridhar Ramaswamy srics.r at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 19:53:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/16/2016 02:51 PM, Sridhar Ramaswamy wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Based on the recent discussions in [1] & [2] we are proposing to
> > rearrange our tasks related to Tacker's VNFFG component integrating with
> > the lower level SFC APIs. We now plan to integrate with networking-sfc
> > APIs first.
> >
> > Our original plan, or rather the sequence of tasks, were,
> >
> > 1) Tacker VNFFG plugin (trozet)
> > 2) Tacker VNFFG plugin --> ODL/netvirtsfc driver backend (trozet)
> > 3) Tacker VNFFG plugin --> networking-sfc driver backend (s3wong)
> > 4) networking-sfc --> ODL/netvirtsfc driver backend (TBD)
> >
> > We now propose to alter the sequence of tasks to something like this,
> >
> > 1) Tacker VNFFG plugin (trozet)
> > 2) Tacker VNFFG plugin --> networking-sfc driver backend (s3wong) -
> > /that is, introduce this as the first driver backend for Tacker VNFFG
> > instead of direct ODL/netvirtsfc driver/
> > 3) Use the code written by Tim (trozet) for Tacker's ODL/netvirtsfc
> > driver backend and help to further networking-sfc's ODL integration
> efforts.
> >
> > Quick note on (3) above, networking-sfc already has a driver for ONOS
> > SDN Controller [3]. So it should reasonably easy to bring in a ODL
> > driver for networking-sfc. This might be slightly longer than what we
> > ideally wanted for some short-term PoCs but it positions us to get the
> > eventual end goal faster.
>
> What other backends would you expect other than the networking-sfc
> backend?  Is it none for now, but just leaving it open for an
> alternative Neutron API should one come up?

Yep, there is no other backends planned beyond networking-sfc. In fact I
happy that most things in our sight (for Tacker) like ODL, ONOS and OVN are
already under consideration in the networking-sfc project. Still it will be
good keep the layers separate - the top-half with forwarding-graph related
stuff and the bottom half handling the calls to low-level sfc api.

- Sridhar