[openstack-dev] [nova] A prototype implementation towards the "shared state scheduler"

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Feb 17 15:47:35 UTC 2016

(sorry, quoting off-context, but I feel it's a side point, not the main
discussion)

Le 17/02/2016 16:40, Cheng, Yingxin a écrit :

> IMHO, the authority to allocate resources is not limited by compute
> nodes, but also include network service, storage service or all other
> services which have the authority to manage their own resources. Those
> “shared” resources are coming from external services(i.e. system)
> which are not compute service. They all have responsibilities to push
> their own resource updates to schedulers, make resource reservation
> and consumption. The resource provider series provides a flexible
> representation of all kinds of resources, so that scheduler can handle
> them without having the specific knowledge of all the resources.

No, IMHO, the authority has to stay the entity which physically create
the instance and own its lifecycle. What the user wants when booting is
an instance, not something else. He can express some SLA by providing
more context (implicit thru aggregates or flavors) or explicit (thru
hints or AZs) that could be not compute-related (say a network segment
locality or a volume-related thing) but at the end, it will create an
instance on a compute node that matches the requirements.

Cinder and Neutron shouldn't manage which instances are on which hosts,
they just have to provide the resource types and possible allocations
(like a taken port)

-Sylvain