[openstack-dev] [Fuel][library] Switching to external fixtures for integration Noop tests

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobrelia at mirantis.com
Wed Feb 17 14:43:17 UTC 2016

Hello,
an update inline!

On 27.01.2016 17:37, Bogdan Dobrelya wrote:
> On 26.01.2016 22:18, Kyrylo Galanov wrote:
>> Hello Bogdan,
>>
>> I hope I am not the one of the context. Why do we separate fixtures for
>> Noop tests from the repo?
>> I can understand if while noop test block was carried out to a separate
>> repo.
>>

> I believe fixtures normally are downloaded by the rake spec_prep.
> Developers avoid to ship fixtures with tests.
>
> The astute.yaml data fixtures are supposed to be external to the
> fuel-library as that data comes from the Nailgun backend and corresponds
> to all known deploy paths.
>
> Later, the generated puppet catalogs (see [0]) shall be put to the
> fixtures repo as well - as they will contain hundreds thousands of
> auto-generate lines and are tightly related to the astute.yaml fixtures.
>
> While the Noop tests framework itself indeed may be moved to another
> separate repo (later), we should keep our integration tests [1] in the
> fuel-library repository, which is "under test" by those tests.

Dmitry Ilyin did a great job and reworked the Fuel-library Noop Tests
Framework. He also provided docs to describe changes for developers.
There is a patch [0] to move the astute.yaml fixtures, noop tests docs
and the framework itself from the fuel-library to the fuel-noop-fixtures
repo [1].

With the patch, full run for the Noop tests job shortens from 40 minutes
to 5 (by 8 times!) as it supports multiple rspec processes running in
parallel. It also provides advanced test reports. Please see details in
the docs [2]. You can read as is or build locally with tox. Later, the
docs will go to readthedocs.org as well.

Note, there is no impact for developers and all changes are backwards
compatible to existing noop tests and Fuel jenkins CI jobs. Later we may
start to add new features from the reworked framework to make things
even better. So please take a look on the patch and new docs.

PS. Noop tests gate passed for the patch, though there is CI -1 as we
disabled non related deployment gates by the "Fuel-CI: disable" tag.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/276816/
[1] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/fuel-noop-fixtures
[2] https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/fuel-noop-fixtures/tree/doc

> [0] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/deployment-data-dryrun
> [1]
> https://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/fuel-library/tree/tests/noop/spec/hosts
>
>> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobrelia at mirantis.com
>> <mailto:bdobrelia at mirantis.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     We are going to switch [0] to external astute.yaml fixtures for Noop
>>     tests and remove them from the fuel-library repo as well.
>>     Please make sure all new changes to astute.yaml fixtures will be
>>     submitted now to the new location. Related mail thread [1].
>>
>>     [0]
>>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/272480/1/doc/noop-guide/source/noop_fixtures.rst
>>     [1]
>>     http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-December/082888.html