[openstack-dev] [tacker][networking-sfc] Tacker VNFFG - SFC integration updates

Sridhar Ramaswamy srics.r at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 19:51:57 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

Based on the recent discussions in [1] & [2] we are proposing to rearrange
our tasks related to Tacker's VNFFG component integrating with the lower
level SFC APIs. We now plan to integrate with networking-sfc APIs first.

Our original plan, or rather the sequence of tasks, were,

1) Tacker VNFFG plugin (trozet)
2) Tacker VNFFG plugin --> ODL/netvirtsfc driver backend (trozet)
3) Tacker VNFFG plugin --> networking-sfc driver backend (s3wong)
4) networking-sfc --> ODL/netvirtsfc driver backend (TBD)

We now propose to alter the sequence of tasks to something like this,

1) Tacker VNFFG plugin (trozet)
2) Tacker VNFFG plugin --> networking-sfc driver backend (s3wong) - *that
is, introduce this as the first driver backend for Tacker VNFFG instead of
direct ODL/netvirtsfc driver*
3) Use the code written by Tim (trozet) for Tacker's ODL/netvirtsfc driver
backend and help to further networking-sfc's ODL integration efforts.

Quick note on (3) above, networking-sfc already has a driver for ONOS SDN
Controller [3]. So it should reasonably easy to bring in a ODL driver for
networking-sfc. This might be slightly longer than what we ideally wanted
for some short-term PoCs but it positions us to get the eventual end goal
faster.

Comments, suggestions welcome!

thanks,
Sridhar