[openstack-dev] [cinder][all] Integration python-*client tests on gates

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Feb 16 12:05:25 UTC 2016

On 02/15/2016 02:48 PM, Ivan Kolodyazhny wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'll talk mostly about python-cinderclient but the same question could
> be related for other clients.
>
> Now, for python-cinderclient we've got to kinds for
> functional/integrated jobs:
>
> 1) gate-cinderclient-dsvm-functional - a very limited (for now) set of
> functional tests, most of them were part of tempest CLI tests in the past.
>
> 2) gate-tempest-dsvm-neutron-src-python-cinderclient - if I understand
> right, the idea os this job was to have integrated tests to test
> cinderclient with other projects to verify that new patch to
> python-cinderclietn won't break any other project.
> But it does *not* test cinderclient at all, except few attach-related
> tests because Tempest doesn't use python-*client.

This does test the real world usage of Nova consuming
python-cinderclient. That's why it's still there. This ensures that a
cinderclient upcoming release won't completely tank the integrated gate.
All openstack libraries that get used by all servers in openstack have
something equivalent.

> The same job was added for python-heatclient but was removed because
> devstack didn't install Heat for that job [1].
>
> We agreed [2] to remove this job from cinderclient gates too, once
> functional or integration tests will be implemented.

Um, what now?

> There is a proposal to python-cinderclient tests to implement some
> cross-project testing to make sure, that new python-cinderclient won't
> break any of existing project who use it.
>
> After discussing in IRC with John Griffith (jgriffith) I'm realized that
> it could be an cross-project initiative in such kind of integration
> tests. OpenStack Client (OSC) could cover some part of such tests, but
> does it mean that we'll run OSC tests on every patch to python-*client?
> We can run only cinder-realated OSC tests on our gates to verify that it
> doesn't breack OSC and, may be other project.
>
> The other option, is to implement tests like [3] per project basis and
> call it "integration".  Such tests could cover more cases than OSC
> functional tests and have more project-related test cases, e.g.: test
> some python-cinderclient specific corner cases, which is not related to OSC.
>
> IMO, It would be good to have some cross-project decision on how will be
> implement clients' integration tests per project.

> [2]
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/cinder/2015/cinder.2015-12-16-16.00.log.html
> [3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/279432/8
>
> Regards,