[openstack-dev] [Nova] Should we signal backwards incompatible changes in microversions?

GHANSHYAM MANN ghanshyammann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 01:47:08 UTC 2016

Regards
Ghanshyam Mann

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Alex Xu <soulxu at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we support 2.x.y, when we bump 'x' is a problem. We didn't order the API
> changes for now, the version of API change is just based on the order of
> patch merge. For support 2.x.y, we need bump 'y' first for back-compatible
> changes I guess.
>
> As I remember, we said before, the new feature is the motivation of user
> upgrade their client to support new version API, whatever the new version is
> backward compatible or incompatible. So I guess the initial thinking we hope
> user always upgrade their code than always stop at old version? If we bump
> 'x' after a lot of 'y', will that lead to user always stop at 'x' version?
> And the evolution of api will slow down.
>
> Or we limit to each release cycle. In each release, we bump 'y' first, and
> then bump 'x'. Even there isn't any back-incompatible change in the release.
> We still bump 'x' when released. Then we can encourage user upgrade their
> code. But I still think the back-incompatible API change will be slow down
> in development, as it need always merged after back-compatible API change
> patches.

Yea that true and will be more complicated from development
perspective which leads to slow down the evolution of API changes.
But if we support x.y then still we can change x at any time back
in-comp changes happens(i mean before y also)? Or I may not be getting
the issue you mentioned about always bump y before x.

I like the idea of distinguish the backward comp and in-comp changes
with x and y which always gives clear perspective about changes.
But it should not lead users to ignore y. I mean some backward comp
changes which are really good gets ignored by users as they start look
at the x only.
For example- "adding attribute in resource representation" is back
comp change (if so) and if that is added as y then, it might get
ignored by users.

Another way to clearly distinguish backward comp and in-comp changes
is through documentation which was initially discussed during
microversion specs. Currently doc has good description about each
changes but not much clear way about backward comp or not.
Which we can do by adding a clear flag [Backward Compatible/
Incompatible] for each version in doc [1]-