[openstack-dev] [ironic] Baremetal Deploy Ramdisk functional testing

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Mon Feb 15 20:56:06 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 01:48:11PM +0200, Maksym Lobur wrote:
> Re-sending with Ironic stamp… Folks, please see below:

Hi, I meant to reply to this earlier, but didn't get to it, sorry for
that.

> > Hi All,
> >
> > In bareon [1] we have test framework to test deploy ramdsik with bareon inside (baremetal deployments). This is a functional testing, we do a full partitioning/image_deployment in a VM, then reboot to see if tenant image deployed properly. Blueprint is at [2], test example is at [3]. We were going to put a framework to a separate repo, while keeping functional tests in bareon tree.
> >
> > Does someone else have need to test some kind of deployment ramdisks? Maybe already have existing tools for this? Or would be interested to reuse our code? Current pull request is to create bareon-func-test repo [4]. But if that makes sense, we could do something like ramdisk-func-test, e.g. try to generalize the framework to test other ramdisks/agents.

So, as I understand this, the goal is to test the bareon ramdisk without
bringing up the rest of the services that talk to it?

Currently in ironic-land, the only runtime testing of our ramdisk(s) is
the integration tests we do with the rest of openstack (the dsvm tests).
We've considered functional tests of the ironic-python-agent API, but
haven't much considered writing scripts to boot it on a VM and do
things.

Given the ways IPA interacts with Ironic, we'd basically just end up
re-writing a bunch of Ironic code if we wanted to do this; however it
might not be too much code, so maybe it's worth it? I'm not sure; I
guess it isn't a major priority for us right now.

All this is to say, I guess I'd have to look at the functional test
framework you're building. I'm not opposed to making it more general,
and as changing repo names is expensive (requires gerrit downtime), it
might be worth naming it ramdisk-func-test or similar now just in case. :)

// jim