[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] How would nova microversion get-me-a-network in the API?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 22:49:29 UTC 2016

On 02/12/2016 02:18 PM, Doug Wiegley wrote:
> I thought one of the original notions behind this was to make ‘nova
> boot’ as simple as in the nova-net case, which would imply not
> needing to use —nic at all. I personally like the idea of the flag
> being for the no network case.

This would be my preference as well, even though it's technically a
backwards-incompatible API change.

The idea behind get-me-a-network was specifically to remove the current
required complexity of the nova boot command with regards to networking
options and allow a return to the nova-net model where an admin could
auto-create a bunch of unassigned networks and the first time a user
booted an instance and did not specify any network configuration (the
default, sane behaviour in nova-net), one of those unassigned networks
would be grabbed for the troject, I mean prenant, sorry.

So yeah, the "opt-in to having no networking at all with a
--no-networking or --no-nics option" would be my preference.

Best,
-jay