[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] How would nova microversion get-me-a-network in the API?

Andrew Laski andrew at lascii.com
Fri Feb 12 18:17:56 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016, at 12:15 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Forgive me for thinking out loud, but I'm trying to sort out how nova
> would use a microversion in the nova API for the get-me-a-network
> feature recently added to neutron [1] and planned to be leveraged in
> nova (there isn't a spec yet for nova, I'm trying to sort this out for a
> draft).
>
> Originally I was thinking that a network is required for nova boot, so
> we'd simply check for a microversion and allow not specifying a network,
> easy peasy.
>
> Turns out you can boot an instance in nova (with neutron as the network
> backend) without a network. All you get is a measly debug log message in
> the compute logs [2]. That's kind of useless though and seems silly.
>
> I haven't tested this out yet to confirm, but I suspect that if you
> create a nova instance w/o a network, you can latter try to attach a
> network using the os-attach-interfaces API as long as you either provide
> a network ID *or* there is a public shared network or the tenant has a
> network at that point (nova looks those up if a specific network ID
> isn't provided).
>
> The high-level plan for get-me-a-network in nova was simply going to be
> if the user tries to boot an instance and doesn't provide a network, and
> there isn't a tenant network or public shared network to default to,
> then nova would call neutron's new auto-allocated-topology API to get a
> network. This, however, is a behavior change.
>
> So I guess the question now is how do we handle that behavior change in
> the nova API?
>
> We could add an auto-create-net boolean to the boot server request which
> would only be available in a microversion, then we could check that
> boolean in the compute API when we're doing network validation.

I think a flag like this is the right approach. If it's currently valid
to boot an instance without a network than there needs to be something
to distinguish a request that wants a network created vs. a request that
doesn't want a network.

This is still hugely useful if all that's required from a user is to
indicate that they would like a network, they still don't need to
understand/provide details of the network.