[openstack-dev] [all] [tc] "No Open Core" in 2016

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Wed Feb 10 23:33:00 UTC 2016

On 10/02/2016 4:28 PM, Tim Bell wrote:

> On 10/02/16 21:53, "gordon chung" <gord at live.ca> wrote:
>
>> apologies if this was asked somewhere else in thread, but should we try
>> to define "production" scale or can we even? based on the last survey,
>> the vast majority of deployments are under 100nodes[1]. that said, a few
>> years ago, one company was dreaming 100,000 nodes.
>>
>> i'd imagine the 50 node solution won't satisfy the 1000 node solution
>> let alone the 10k node. similarly, the opposite direction will probably
>> give an overkill solution. it seems somewhat difficult to define
>> something against 'production' term unless we scope it somehow (e.g # of
>> node ranges)?
>>
>> [1] http://www.openstack.org/assets/survey/Public-User-Survey-Report.pdf
>

> As always, scale is relative. However, projects have shown major difficulties to scale to 10% of the larger deployments. Scaling beyond that, even with commercial solutions, has required major investments in custom configurations by the deployers.
>
> There are two risks I see
>
> A. Use sqlite and then change to proprietary solution X for scale
> B. Works at a small scale but scalability has not been considered as a design criteria or demonstrated
>
> I think it is important that the community is informed on these constraints before feeling that a particular project is the solution for them and that the TC factors these questions into their approval criteria.

is there a source for this? a place where people list their reference
architectures and deployment scales?

i'm not a deployer but as an outsider, i've found that there isn't a lot
of transparency in regards to how projects have been made to scale.
maybe this is a side effect of OpenStack being hard as hell to use, but
it seems configurations are the secret sauce people use to sell so we
have a lot of failure stories (bottom-end constraints) in the community
rather than successes (upper-end constraints).

are there a collection of fully transparent deployers out there to be
our 'production' baseline? to help vet scalability? just CERN?

--
gord