[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Distributed Multicast and IGMP Support in Dragonflow

Gal Sagie gal.sagie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 15:17:15 UTC 2016

This is a work we are doing in Dragonflow and is relatively simple to
implement leveraging
Dragonflow current infrastructure and reactive local controller.

This will significantly reduce duplicating packets for IGMP aware VMs. and
hence
reduce multicast load.

We would love to help and bring this API to Neutron core, anyone that is
interested
is welcome to check the spec Omer published.  feel free to join us in our
next IRC
channel where we would talk about this design.

Thanks
Gal.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 4:59 PM, Omer Anson <omer.anson at toganetworks.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We're in the process of adding IGMP and multicast support to
> Dragonflow[1]. The
> added feature will route multicast packets only to relevant and registered
> VMs,
> compute nodes, and handle IGMP packets.
>
> This feature has some configuration parameters for subnets and router
> interfaces.
> Some of these parameters are, e.g. if the subnet supports multicast, and
> the
> Query Interval of the router.
>
> Is anyone else working on such a feature? Are there any specific parameters
> that should be included, in addition to multicast enable/disable on
> subnets,
> and the parameters in Section 8 in [2]?
>
> Thanks,
> Omer Anson.

> [2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3376
>

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> This email and any files transmitted and/or attachments with it are
> confidential and proprietary information of
> Toga Networks Ltd., and intended solely for the use of the individual or
> entity to whom they are addressed.
> This message contains confidential
> information of Toga Networks Ltd., and is intended only for the individual
> named. If you are not the named
> addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
> Please notify the sender immediately
> by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this
> e-mail from your system. If you are not
> the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying,
> distributing or taking any action in reliance on
> the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Best Regards ,

The G.