[openstack-dev] [Nova][Cinder] Multi-attach, determining when to call os-brick's connector.disconnect_volume

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hpe.com
Tue Feb 9 22:14:50 UTC 2016

On 02/09/2016 02:04 PM, Ildikó Váncsa wrote:
> Hi Walt,
>
> Thanks for starting this thread. It is a good summary of the issue and the proposal also looks feasible to me.
>
> I have a quick, hopefully not too wild idea based on the earlier discussions we had. We were considering earlier to store the target identifier together with the other items of the attachment info. The problem with this idea is that when we call initialize_connection from Nova, Cinder does not get the relevant information, like instance_id, to be able to do this. This means we cannot do that using the functionality we have today.
>
> My idea here is to extend the Cinder API so that Nova can send the missing information after a successful attach. Nova should have all the information including the 'target', which means that it could update the attachment information through the new Cinder API.
I think we need to do is to allow the connector to be passed at
os-attach time.   Then cinder can save it in the attachment's table entry.

We will also need a new cinder API to allow that attachment to be
updated during live migration, or the connector for the attachment will
get stale and incorrect.

Walt