[openstack-dev] [nova] ram size and huge page number for VM

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Tue Feb 9 18:51:09 UTC 2016

We went for 2M huge pages in the end (http://openstack-in-production.blogspot.fr/2015/09/ept-huge-pages-and-benchmarking.html).  I was surprised how much better this worked than THP, I guess the problem is that THP is applied after the allocation and thus pages can be mixed.

We found it difficult to get a balanced NUMA configuration. A recent blog from Mirantis suggested that the problem was to do with BIOS shadowing settings as described in https://www.mirantis.com/blog/mirantis-openstack-7-0-nfvi-deployment-guide-huge-pages/.