[openstack-dev] [neutron][stable] Request to do stable point releases more often if there are going to be a lot of backports

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Feb 9 16:10:32 UTC 2016

While reviewing the neutron 7.0.2 stable/liberty point release, I
noticed there were a lot of changes since 7.0.1. [1]

There are 48 non-merge commits by my count.

While there is no rule about how many backports should land before we
cut a point release, it would be helpful on reviewers for the release
request if it was fewer than 48. :)

I think the Neutron team is by far the most active in backporting
changes to stable, which is good. We might want to consider releasing
more often though if the backport rate is going to be this high.

I'd also be interested in hearing from deployers/operators (if any are
reading this) to know how frequently they are picking up stable point
releases, or if they are taking an approach of waiting to upgrade from
kilo to liberty until there have at least been a few stable/liberty
point releases across the projects.

[1]
http://logs.openstack.org/88/272688/2/check/gate-releases-tox-list-changes/aa8e270/console.html.gz

Matt Riedemann