[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Mon Feb 8 19:56:03 UTC 2016

From:  Jesse Pretorius
Date:  Monday 8 February 2016 at 20:34
Subject:  Re: [openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

Simply replying to the last reply in the thread to add a thought:

As someone who wants to be speaking more in presentations and be involved in 'User' or 'Operator' conversations, but also wants to participate in project-specific design sessions, I find that the context switches make it difficult to be fully attentive in all activities.

Perhaps a way to do this is to stagger it slightly? In other words - the User/Operator/Cross-Project presentations/sessions are done in the first few days and the more project-focused design sessions follow after for a few days. That way all design sessions are done with User/Operator feedback in mind.

As a member of the deployment tooling development community we have the additional desire to somehow attend user/operator sessions, service project sessions and then also do our own sessions. It would seem far more optimal if we could somehow follow after the service project sessions so that operators and service developers could also be a part of our deployment sessions, although perhaps it'd be useful to service project developers to attend deployment tooling sessions ahead of their own sessions.

The operator/user sessions at the summits have been greatly enhanced by discussions with the PTLs and the development community. Equally, the ability to switch between the Ops meetup and the usage/product summit presentations has been appreciated.

Once Thierry’s proposal is in, this would be an interesting set of interactions to consider as I feel this has been valuable (but could be done in a different form also).

Tim

Jesse
IRC: odyssey4me