[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Mon Feb 8 14:09:37 UTC 2016

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would love to see the OpenStack contributor community take back the design
> summit to its original format and purpose and decouple it from the OpenStack
> Summit's conference portion.
>
> I believe the design summits should be organized by the OpenStack
> contributor community, not the OpenStack Foundation and its marketing and
> event planning staff.

As someone who spent years organizing PyCon as a volunteer from the
Python community, with four of those years in a row taking about 8
solid months of pre-conference effort, not to mention the on-site
effort to run a volunteer conference of that size [0]...I would
suggest even longer and harder thought before stretching a community
like this even more thinly. Things should change, but probably not the
"who's doing the work" aspect.

[0] PyCon is around 2500 (though with one paid staffer now), so maybe
larger than the target for the event you're thinking of, but it was
still a massive effort at the crowds of 2000, 1500, 1000, etc. and
being fully community driven.