[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Feb 8 09:09:45 UTC 2016

Jay Pipes wrote:
> tl;dr
> =====
>
> I have long thought that the OpenStack Summits have become too
> commercial and provide little value to the software engineers
> contributing to OpenStack.
>
> I propose the following:
>
> 1) Separate the design summits from the conferences
> 2) Hold only a single OpenStack conference per year
> 3) Return the design summit to being a low-key, low-cost working event
> [...]

I agree with most of the things that have been said so far. I think the
upstream community can't really get its work done in the current
setting, and that it's too costly for companies to send most of their
developers to classy hotels in expensive cities. I therefore think it
would be beneficial to separate the events.

I agree that a separated design summit should be in lower-cost venues
and smaller cities. But I don't think that the "OpenStack contributor
community" can or should directly organize them. I happen to have a foot
on both sides, and I can tell you organizing those events is extremely
time consuming. I know exactly who would end up with the burden of
organizing those events in the end -- and those are the same overworked
cross-project core of developers that fill all the gaps in OpenStack.

I don't want to risk even more burnout from that group by forcing them
into the craziness of organizing such events every 6 months. I don't
think the issue with the Design Summit is that the Foundation staff and
FNTech organizes them. It's mostly my team working on it on the staff
side -- and I think Mike Perez and myself qualify as "OpenStack
contributor community". The issue is with the bundling of the two
events, and that can be fixed while still letting a specialized event
team do all the heavy lifting.

The timing of this thread is unfortunate, since after Tokyo I have
actually been working on a solution for separation myself, and the
Foundation is finalizing a strawman proposal that should soon be pushed
for comments to the community. It involves changes to the main
conference event as well.

So please stand by while we finalize that: I think you will like the end
result.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)