[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Proposal: Separate design summits from OpenStack conferences

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Feb 8 03:42:42 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 1:51 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Fifth - if we do this, the real need for the mid-cycles we currently have
> probably goes away since the summit week can be a legit wall-to-wall work
> week.

[snip]

Another reply to a specific point...

I disagree strongly here, at least in the Nova case. I feel Nova has been
getting along much better and generally pulling in the same direction for
the last few releases. I think one of the things we did to get there is the
mid-cycles, which gave us more time to sync on the overall direction of
Nova, as well as ensuring we start being honest at this point in the
release cycle about what we're going to get done before we ship.

For Nova at least its really important to have an approximately milestone 2
check point where we can decide what to defer and what to focus on.
Otherwise we end up back in a place where we release a mish mash of half
finished features.

Michael

--
Rackspace Australia